Use this form to apply for exclusive rights to the shape and outward appearance of a product. The exclusive right applies to all commercial use in Norway.Start service
If you have shown your design publicly, you must file your application no later than 12 months after showing it for the first time.
If the applicant has chosen to use a representative, the NIPO will communicate only with the representative in any correspondence regarding the application. You can apply as an individual or on behalf of an organisation. If you represent an organisation, you must have the Altinn role Patent, varemerke og design.
Learn more about how to give rights to others
• You will find important information (e.g. on prefilled forms for regular users, and messages, completed forms and work in progress) on patentstyret.no.
• The first time you log in on altinn.no, you must «Create a new user». Important: When creating your account - use the e-mail address in which you wish to receive all communication from the NIPO.
• NOTE: All communication in previous and new cases with the NIPO will hereafter be sent to your Altinn account.
• If this is the first time you apply for a design, we recommend that you follow this link(external link) to find more information.
Receipt for filing and payment
NIPO will not send you a receipt. To obtain a receipt, choose one of the following methods:
1. To receive an automatic receipt by e-mail when submitting a form:
At the top of the page in your inbox in Altinn you must choose "profile". Open your contact information and check the box "I would like to receive a receipt by e-mail when submitting forms".
2. Find your receipt on the receipt page (which will appear as soon as you have paid the application), or in your archive in Altinn. Choose 'Send a copy of the receipt by e-mail', or save it to your device by clicking 'Print receipt'.
Your application will become public
Your application and all the documents related to it will be published on our website(external link). We generally shield sensitive and confidential information. You can ask us to exempt business secrets from public disclosure. It is therefore important that you clearly indicate what information in the application or attachments you wish us to exempt. We will then assess whether the information can be exempted from public disclosure.
NIPO's Customer Service Centre can answer questions regarding trademarks, designs and patents.
Telephone: +47 22 38 73 00 (Monday - Friday 8am – 3pm)