Use this form for requesting the publication of a European patent application (EP patent application) or if you wish to validate a European patent (EP patent).Start service
The deadline for submitting a request is three months from the date the EPO published the patent.
This form is only for those without Norwegian ID number and for anyone who has filed an application or been granted a patent at the EPO, and has received an EP number (for example, EP2345678), may submit this form.
If the applicant has chosen to use a representative, the NIPO will communicate only with the representative in any correspondence regarding the application. You can apply as an individual or on behalf of an organisation. If you represent an organisation, you must have the Altinn role Patent, varemerke og design.
Learn more about how to give rights to others
Validation of a European patent:
When your European patent has been granted at the EPO, it can also be validated in Norway. When the patent is published in Norway, it is treated the same way as if it was a national Norwegian patent.
Publication of a European patent:
This is a free service providing temporary protection for patents, as the NIPO publishes the claims in our database before the application is granted at the EPO.
First time using NIPOs forms in Altinn?
• You will find important information (e.g. on prefilled forms for regular users, and messages, completed forms and work in progress) on patentstyret.no(external link).
• The first time you log in on altinn.no, you must «Create a new user». Important: When creating your account - use the e-mail address in which you wish to receive all communication from the NIPO.
• NOTE: All communication in previous and new cases with the NIPO will hereafter be sent to your Altinn account.
Payment and receipt
NIPO will not send you a receipt. To obtain a receipt, choose one of the following methods:
1. To receive an automatic receipt by e-mail when submitting a form:
At the top of the page in your inbox in Altinn you must choose "profile". Open your contact information and check the box "I would like to receive a receipt by e-mail when submitting forms".
2. Find your receipt on the receipt page (which will appear as soon as you have paid the application), or in your archive in Altinn. Choose 'Send a copy of the receipt by e-mail', or save it to your device by clicking 'Print receipt'.
Your application will become public
Your application and all the documents related to it will be published on our website(external link). We generally shield sensitive and confidential information. You can ask us to exempt business secrets from public disclosure. It is therefore important that you clearly indicate what information in the application or attachments you wish us to exempt. We will then assess whether the information can be exempted from public disclosure.