Use this form to apply for patent protection for an invention. To obtain a patent, the invention must represent a new, technical solution to a problem. You must keep the invention secret before you file your application.Start tjeneste
This form is only for those without Norwegian ID number.
If the applicant has chosen to use a representative, the NIPO will communicate only with the representative in any correspondence regarding the application. You can apply as an individual or on behalf of an organisation. If you represent an organisation, you must have the Altinn role Patent, varemerke og design.
Learn more about how to give rights to others
Inventions of importance to defence
An invention of importance to defence is an invention deemed to be of significance to the defence of the realm, for example military equipment. They are also known as secret patents or classified patents. You can apply for a patent for inventions of this kind. However, special rules apply to filing, processing and communication in these applications. See nipo.no for more information.
A patent can only be granted for an invention. Processes, products, devices and methods can be patented. A patent gives you sole right to utilise the invention commercially for a limited period. The solution must have technical character, have technical effect and be reproducible. See nipo.no for more information.
First time using NIPOs forms in Altinn?
• You will find important information (e.g. on prefilled forms for regular users, and messages, completed forms and work in progress) on patentstyret.no.
• The first time you log in on altinn.no, you must «Create a new user». Important: When creating your account - use the e-mail address in which you wish to receive all communication from the NIPO.
• NOTE: All communication in previous and new cases with the NIPO will hereafter be sent to your Altinn account.
• If this is the first time you apply for a patent, we recommend that you follow this link to find more information.
Receipt for filing and payment
NIPO will not send you a receipt. To obtain a receipt, choose one of the following methods:
• To receive an automatic receipt by e-mail when submitting a form:
At the top of the page in your inbox in Altinn you must choose "profile". Open your contact information and check the box "I would like to receive a receipt by e-mail when submitting forms".
• Find your receipt on the receipt page (which will appear as soon as you have paid the application), or in your archive in Altinn. Choose 'Send a copy of the receipt by e-mail', or save it to your device by clicking 'Print receipt'.
Your application will become public
A patent application is published and thereby publicly available on our website 18 months after the day the application was filed at NIPO. We generally shield sensitive and confidential information. You can ask us to exempt business secrets from public disclosure. It is therefore important that you clearly indicate what information in the application or attachments you wish us to exempt. We will then assess whether the information can be exempted from public disclosure.